This opportunity is for teens ages 12 – 18 only. Application must be signed by teen and parent or guardian. When received, the teen librarian will respond to your application. Please be aware that it might take up to a week for a response. In addition, when letters are needed to verify community service, please give your teen librarian one-week notice. For more details on Teen Volunteer opportunities, please see the information below.
Become a TEEN Volunteer!
Whether working to fulfill a school commitment, to build a job resume, or to serve the community, Ocean County Library offers opportunities for teens ages 12 to 18. It’s a fun way to earn community service hours!
Why be a TEEN volunteer at the Ocean County Library?
- Looks fabulous on college applications
- Helps you learn skills to add to a job resume
- Great way to meet new friends
- Serve and get to know your community better
- Learn about the library, how the library works and the library profession
- Heads up on the latest books!
- Be truly appreciated for the work you do!
What TEEN volunteer opportunities are available at OCL?
All programs require an application and possible orientation. Please check your local library branch for details. A teen volunteer shift is usually 1 to 2 hours, sometimes more if need and availability align.
School Year Volunteering Opportunities - September through May
- Teen Advisory Board
- Adopt a Shelf
- Teens help to keep the books in proper order on the shelves. This important task allows customers and staff to locate library materials quickly and efficiently. This requires a brief orientation.
- Teen Book Reviewer
- Virtual Volunteering
- Contact your local branch to see if they offer any virtual volunteer opportunities.
Summer Volunteering Opportunities - June Through August
- S.A.I.L. (Service and Achievement in the Library)
- S.A.I.L. is a summer volunteer program open to teens that are entering 8th grade. Work closely with teen and children services and learn all that your library has to offer. Applications come out 1st week of May.